top of page

Mens & Ladies Match Reports 22 Jan 2022

Fylde (M) 2 - 1 West Derby 1 (M)

North West Men's Division 1

Fylde hosted West Derby in what has always been a great contest between the two sides.

Fylde started well and settled quickly into the game with some sharp quick passing in the defence and midfield, cutting through the visiting side and finding themselves 2 on 1 at the back with the West Derby keeper called in to action several times during the first half and doing everything he could to keep the score at 0 - 0.

The continuing pressure from Fylde soon found West Derby on the receiving end of a few short corners from which the home side took the lead through.

Up stepped the captain Gareth Sym to place a drag flick high into the top right corner beating both keeper and postman to allow Fylde to go into the break 1 - 0.

The second half started and Fylde continued as the left the first half, attacking the visiting goal with the keeper coming out on top and keeping the deficit to 1 - 0.

A quick attack from the home side cutting through the middle of a tired visiting side saw them 2 on 1 with the goal keeper, Jordan Payne scored, 2 - 0 and Fylde firmly on top of the game.

West Derby managed to convert an attack from some good defence work in the middle of the park.

Final score 2 - 1, a vital 3 point for the home side who face table topping Timperley next week.

South Lakes 1 (M) 3 - 1 Fylde 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 3 North

Fylde 2’s travelled to Ulverston to take on South Lakes, the match started off cagey with both teams making advances into the opposition penalty area but with no end result. Not long before half time South Lakes caught Fylde off guard with a counter attack, managing to put the chance away. The score was 1-0 to the home side going in to break. Starting the second half Fylde were still very much in the game with some great periods of play passing the ball around really well. Unfortunately however it was South Lakes that struck next with a second goal from open play. Making it 2-0 to the home side. Hope was restored in the match with Fylde getting a goal back from a great team move that saw Richard Clarke in the penalty area squaring the ball to Phil Hope who calmly put it in the back of the net. This goal spurred the team on and there was some excellent play, passing the ball around brilliantly and winning a few penalty corners. Although Fylde looked to be the more dominant side in this final portion of the match, the home side through a long ball to their striker, managed to win a penalty corner. The ball was dragged to the top and smashed in with a straight strike making the score 3-1. At this point of the game there was not enough time for Fylde to respond and the score ended a 3-1 loss.

Lytham St Annes 2 (M) 0 - 0 Fylde 3 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North

It was Fylde Men’s 3’s turn for a local derby against Lytham St Annes Men’s 2’s, after last week clash of the Men’s 1’s, at the same AKS pitch.

Fylde had the luxury of 12 players, although their ages ranged from 13 to 70+, including the debut for youngster Ben Slater. However they have been practising hard at training under the guidance of Chris Banks, and this has really started to pay off on match day.

Both sides saw plenty of the ball, with possession constantly changing. Fylde felt they had the better of the first half, and went close with several forays into the D from Harry Marsh, James Dobson, Angus Chandler, and Oli Adewale. The Lytham keeper pulled off an out-stretched save for what looked like the opener for Fylde, and the scoreline remained 0-0 at half-time.

Lytham altered their formation for the second half, and had more attacking breaks, leading to several short corners, but Luke Whitelow made several saves to kept out the ball. The backline of Martin Stringfellow, Pete Latimer, Connor McClelland and Caine Draper distributed the ball well, and Fylde made many dangerous attacks. Several balls were struck into Lytham’s goal, but from outside the D, without any player managing a touch inside. James Dobson thought he’d scored but the whistle had blown for the ball hitting a foot. Ben Slater grew in confidence attacking down the right wing.

In the end, neither side was able to score, and both sides felt they could have won, but a draw was probably a fair result. The 3rd clean sheet in the last 5 games, and an increasing understanding of formation and tactics, bodes well for the remaining 9 matches of the season.

Formby 1 (F) 0 - 3 Fylde 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 1

Off to sunny Formby we went, To leave with 3 points was our intent, We were ready with tactics and blaring tunes on, Oh, let’s us keep the ball and we will be gone! A fast, exciting start with Fylde keeping the ball, Putting pressure on Formby and into a haul, No time on the ball we said, Ensured Formby had to carefully tread. We kept the ball well, moving it round, It connected like a tune playing a good sound, Pass to pass, we moved up the pitch, A short was given - oh what a glitch! A strike was decided, And soon Fylde glided, A strike, deflection and in it went, A roaring cheer you could hear from the dug out tent! Play was moving all over the place, Meet, pass and move was the guide to our race, Another short was given to us again, Linked play was ace like carriages on a train! A deflection again from Dawn C and in, Even after a whack on before on the shin, A great strike from EJ through, Now Fylde have made it 2! Some protective play in the middle from Jayne and Dawn, A concern for a couple if muscles were torn, We did well and were ok, They were back on and ready to play. The final goal was a great finish by Sally L in the D, A win was what wanted, wait and see, Some great movement off the ball and round the back to the T, The score was good and we were determined as we will always be! A win, a cheer and a spud in the club, Thank you Formby for a fair match and grub, We play again next week for the points, Rest up, recharge and look after you joints!

Fylde 3 (F) 5 - 0 Kirkby Stephen 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 2 North

On the back of their defeat to Lancaster University in the previous week Fylde were motivated to improve when they welcomed Kirkby Stephen to Mill Farm. Kirkby Stephen won the toss and chose to start with the ball. From the start whilst Fylde piled on the pressure and did not allow Kirkby to leave their half, Fylde quickly gained possession and kept the ball, switching it around the pitch until a gap opened. Fylde drew out the defence and keeper allowing Scarlett Turnock to slot the ball into an open goal, 1 – 0 Fylde.

With Fylde’s midfield pressing high up the pitch the gap between the midfield and defence slowly grew, Kirkby Stephen used this to their advantage and tried to press the ball through gap to run onto. They piled players forward but the defence handled the pressure calmly and delayed play allowing the midfield to regroup and regain their positions.

Fylde were soon back with controlled possession, moving the ball quickly between the midfield and forwards, debutant Jessica Addy made a dominating performance down the left wing regularly sending the ball forward to Katie Tinsley. One such passage of play saw Katie push the ball through the keepers legs making it 2-0. Fylde saw out the first half with attacking runs from forwards Megan Coar, Scarlett and Katie with Katie converting another goal making it 3-0.

The second half started with renewed vigour and Fylde kept the ball predominantly in Kirkby Stephen’s third. Captain Georgie Hampson managed to lift the ball over the defensive line landing on a defenders foot in the D, penalty corner awarded. The ball was injected to top D, slipped several times between Megan Coar, Scarlett Turnock and Katie Tinsley before Georgie Hampson converted the corner into a goal with a well timed post deflection 4-0 Fylde.

Fylde didn’t have the second half all their own way with Kirkby Stephen breaking through at regular intervals and Fylde having to quickly drop back and regroup to prevent a goal. When Fylde had possession they maintained for long periods and driving runs, one run made it through Kirkby’s defence to Katie who converted with an expert cross into the goal 5-0 and a hat-trick for Katie. Fylde saw the game out with consistent possession and an end result of 5-0.

Fylde 5 (F) 2 - 3 Preston 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 4 North (Central)

The Ladies 5th Xl had their first match of 2022 this week at home against Preston 2 Xl. Fylde struggled to find their rhythm in the the first 10 minutes of the game and sadly conceded an early goal. The ladies were not disheartened and regrouped to find better positioning and passing. Fylde shut down multiple attacks on their D and moved the ball up the right, to find the stick of Abi Wensley and put Fylde on the score sheet. The experienced Preston side had excellent movement up their right and scored to make the half time score 1-2. In the second half Fylde came back with a much stronger game, making Preston work hard to get near the goal and closing off their switching to the right more efficiently. Fylde had much more possession and again from open play on the right came a second goal from Fylde, Natalie Smith to equalise. Preston came back hard but Fylde upped their work rate and chased all possible play down. Unfortunately they were unable to stop Preston who scored a 3rd goal and won the match. Final score Fylde 2 -3 Preston. As always the Ladies 5th team win as a team lose as a team, excellent team effort.

image (c) Sarah Skelton


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page