top of page

Men's Match Reports 07/03/20

Updated: Mar 27, 2020

Fylde 1XI 4-2 Lancaster & Morecambe

North Hockey League Division 3

Fylde’s first team edged their way closer to the league title with a 4-2 win against bottom side Lancaster and Morecambe.

Fylde were missing several key players but that didn’t stop them taking an early lead. A flowing move from back to front saw makeshift forward Ian Swaine grab his first of the season after some fine link up play between Rob Jepson, Simon Major and Josh Boyne. Despite Lancaster equalising from a penalty corner, Fylde looked assured all half and two goals from Josh Boyne and one from Sam Bury took the score to 4-1 at half time.

Fylde again struggled in the second half to extend their lead. Lancaster pulled one back on the counter attack, but the result was never in doubt. 4-2 FT

Fylde need a point from their final game to secure the North Division 3 West title when they travel to Oxton on Saturday.  

Didsbury 4XI 7-0 Fylde 2XI

North West Hockey League Division 2 North

Fylde Men's 2's travelled to Manchester to face top of the table, and unbeaten, Didsbury Northern 4's needing at least a point to continue their challenge for the 2nd promotion spot.

It wasn't to be, going down to a bare minimum 11 players when Andy Mortimer's car broke down on the way to the match. Didsbury showed their class and clinical finishing with 3 goals in the first half and 4 in the second.

Duke Jones was Fylde's best player, but otherwise a game to forget, and Fylde now drop to 4th in the table with their promotion hopes dashed. 

Fylde 3XI 0-7 Wigton 1XI

North West Hockey League Division 3 North

Fylde 3's hosted 2nd place Wigton 1s this weekend with hopes of ended a bad run of performances.

The match started very evenly, much to Fylde's surprise. The Fylde players weren't taking any chances against a strong Wigton team, where passes were flowing around the pitch, movement off the ball was constant and the support given between team mates was of the highest standard. Fylde were playing hockey as if they were challenging for silverware.

It was Wigton who won the first half, scoring 3 goals and keeping the challenge very demanding for the Fylde team. Wigton's precision passing and attacking pace were the biggest threats throughout the whole game and it was the first half where they began to show their strength, taking advantage of a defensive mistake and slotting past keeper Stephen Pope. It wasn't long after that Wigton won a short corner and scored with a skilled drag flick.

The half time team talk was a positive one, despite the result, with Captain Ollie Holmes very pleased with the style of play and passing his players had shown. The second half saw more of the same strengths from both sides with Fylde wanting to prove they are not deserving of their recent form. Youngsters Harry Gordon and Alex Eastham were such players, who constantly showed the desire and determination to create chances for the team. Eastham came close with an attacking chance, linked with experienced striker, Jay Mayne, with clever passing and dribbling between themselves and attempted shots on goal. Unfortunately for Fylde, it was Wigton again who started the goal scoring with more short corner drag flicks and a goal from open play, eventually ending the game 0-7 to the away side.

Despite the result, it was a thrilling game for both sides and even though Fylde lost by a big margin, there were many positives to take from an impressive display against a team 2nd in the league. Man of the match went to goal keeper Stephen Pope, whose sublime efforts in goal were critical in denying the Wigton attacks.

Windermere 2XI 8-0 Fylde 4XI

North West Hockey League Division 4 North North

The Fylde 4th men's Team game away to Windermere was expected to be difficult but with only 6 players available, it was going to be even more difficult than expected! With great cooperation from Windermere, who loaned 5 players, the game was back on. With the loaned players, some hope was restored. However the pressure was on and after 15 minutes keeping the ball away, the gates opened and over the remainder of the half 4 goals were conceded. The second half was a repeat of the first with initial resistance followed by another 4 goals. However several pushes into the Windermere half and a short corner were the Fylde highlights. Whilst the score was disappointing, the friendliness of Windermere made for an entertaining and challenging match.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page