top of page

Match Reports 14 Oct 2023

Fylde 1 1-2 Newcastle University 1

Fylde Ladies were on the back of three wins and heading for four with three minutes to go, before two late penalty corners converted by Newcastle Uni gave them the three points. The game was between two teams who played with composure and confidence. It was Newcastle who started well with good pressing, but good defending and good shape maintained the 0-0 score line. It was the opportunities on the counter attack that allowed Fylde to go ahead as a clear opportunity out was blocked allowing a Penalty Stroke to then be converted by Flo Zappulla.

Fylde had to defend a number of Newcastle penalty corners at the end of the first half as their 10v5 attack was resisted by Katie Barker and the PC defence team! The game was a closer affair 2nd half and chances for Frankie Sinclair-Bruce went begging. The pressure in the last 5 minutes told as a few errors led to Newcastle getting PCs which they converted. Lessons learnt and we move onto Didsbury Northern at home next week.

Fylde 2 1-1 Didsbury Greys 1

Goal from Emma Savidge.

Fylde 3 3-5 Penrith 1

Goals from Kelly Windows, Anna Vavaso and Issy Gut.

Garstang 4 1-1 Fylde 4

Fylde 4s took on Garstang this week. First goal of the game came from Eve Clarkson's strong hit from inside the circle and a little cheeky nudge in from Leah Richmond!

2nd half came with some wind and rain, we lost formation and a main player to injury. Garstang capitalised on this causing the score to go 1-1.

Although Fylde had the majority of the play, many accurate attempts on goal alongside several short corners, the win wasn't to be. Leah Richmond remains top scorer as Fylde 4’s stay top of their division.

Lancaster & Morecambe 2 2-1 Fylde 5

Fylde Ladies 5th team headed north to Lancaster this week against Lancaster and Morecambe 2 Xl.

With Fran Loffler Thompson in goal and a strong, if young, team, Fylde were keen to get their first win of the season. It was a well matched game, Lancaster and Morecambe surprised by the determination of Fylde’s youngsters. Size and lack of experience didn’t stop Fylde battling at every opportunity. Sadly Lancaster and Morecambe managed to breach Fylde’s defence and score.

Fylde equalised with some well placed passes in the D, Hollie Twose finding the back board. Sadly in the second half Fylde couldn’t connect and Lancaster and Morecambe went into the lead.

Final score 2-1. Again the result doesn’t negate the exceptional grit and determination of the young (well mostly) Fylde side.

As always Win as a team lose as a team.

Fylde Men 2-2 Lancaster & Morecambe 2

Fylde Men had their first game against a non-development side with Lancaster & Morecambe 2's visiting for the early 10.30 start.

Fylde capitalised on Lancaster's late arrival and lack of warm-up for their keeper, by scoring on their first attack. Phil Hope passed down the left wing, the initial shot from Luke Hitchen was stopped but rebounded straight to captain Richard Clarke to dispatch from a tight angle.

Lancaster soon showed their skills, attacking down the left wing and causing problems. They won a few short corners, and from one of them they slipped the ball at the top of the D and a straight strike was enough for the equaliser.

Both sides kept attacking. Fylde were unlucky when a great passing move between the two youngest players, Oliver van Rijn and Oli Adewale, split the defence, but the shot went wide. Another attack saw the ball hit straight to striker Nigel Sadler in space in the D, and he calmly flicked the ball over the keeper into the goal for a 2-1 lead to Fylde.

The second half was a battling affair with both sides attacking. Lancaster managed to equalise midway through the half. Unfortunately Fylde were unable to find another goal, despite several close chances. Nigel Sadler had another one on one but hit his shot straight into the keeper's pads. Luke Hitchen dribbled round the defence, but shot wide from an angle, with players lining up for a pass. Even Pete Latimer had a shot at goal which was inches wide, after dispossessing a defender taking too long to get away his pass.

There were some heated exchanges towards the end and a yellow card for an opposition player, but otherwise it was a good competitive game between two similar sides.

Final score 2-2 and Player of the Match went to Tim van Rijn for his efforts in midfield.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page