top of page

Ladies & Mens Match Reports 9 Oct 2021

Wakefield 1 (F) 2 - 1 Fylde 1 (F)

Vitality Women's Conference North On Saturday a depleted Ladies 1st team travelled to Wakefield. They had a nervous start & injured captain Vicky Rukin’s presence was missed, but all the girls worked hard & dominated in the first half. There were many circle penetrations but just couldn't convert them into goals.

Wakefield came at Fylde aggressively and quickly in the second half & Fylde conceded a goal against the run of play, but responded quickly with Charlotte McDonald scoring a goal.

The team continued to work hard with Bo and Hattie Madden dominating in midfield and creating many more circle penetrations. Unfortunately Wakefield managed to score another goal in the last quarter from a counter attack and Fylde's continued pressure could not be converted. Final score a disappointing 2-1 to Wakefield. Player of the game went to Hattie Madden for another fantastic performance.

Didsbury Northern 2 (F) 2 - 0 Fylde 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 1

Great start to the match with lots of pressure in the oppositions circle resulting in some decent chances to score, including Tineka Jennings hitting the post.

Fylde continued to have positive play down the right side line with Charlotte Gornall and Katie Smith linking up well. Didsbury had their own chances to score but with great work from the defence and Issy Slater in goal managed to hold them off to halftime.

The second half started similar with both sides having chances, but it was Didsbury who managed to break away to find the back of the net! Plenty more pressure from Fylde seeing them get a few short corners but unable to convert.

With about 10mins to go, Didsbury had another spell of nice passing and somehow managed to find the back of the net again.

Fylde finished strong but were unable to score, although through pure persistence, Lisa Swaine and Tineka Jennings hit the post from a broken down short corner.

Thanks for all those who stepped up to see us get a nice team out and for all your hard work and determination!

Fylde 3 (F) 0 - 4 Preston 1 (F)

North West Women's Division 2 North

Fylde 3 hosted Preston 1 in the third game of the Ladies Division 2 North, with an average age of 15 the team had youth on their side but lacked the experience of playing together with several changes to the team from previous weeks. Possession between the teams was fairly even however Preston were clinical with their play, quick one touch passing through the Fylde midfield and defence meant Fylde were soon on the back foot. Despite many on goal opportunities and great runs from halves Lisa Parry and Beth Ridsdale, Fylde could not breach the Preston defence and subsequently the back of the goal could not be found. End score Fylde 0 - 4 Preston MOM: Lisa Perry

Fylde 4 (F) 3 - 2 Garstang 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 3 North (Central)

Having had a break last week, Fylde Ladies 4th team were raring to go on Saturday. Coach Martin Stringfellow prepared the team on the pitch ahead of their match against Garstang Ladies 2nd team.

The opposition started strong but having settled into the game the first two goals went to Fylde. The first goal from a penalty corner converted by Poppy Chester, this was shortly followed by another goal from Isabelle Woodman.

After half-time Garstang found their stride and scored two goals to level up the score line to 2-2. A breakaway down the left from new youngster Keira Tomes saw Fylde clinch a 3rd goal.

The coach's plans were executed well and resulted in 3-2 victory for Fylde. Player of the match went to Amy Carter on her debut in the team, special mention to Emma Huggon and Grace Tomlinson for their debuts too.

Clitheroe Blackburn Northern 3 (F) 3 - 0 Fylde 5 (F)

North West Women's Division 4 North (Central) Fylde Ladies 5th team played away at Westholme this week against Blackburn and Clitheroe 3XI. With only a flat 11 players after a last minute availability change Fylde knew it was going to be a hard game. The initial 15 mins gave some hope that Fylde had the skill and experience to win if they could keep the ball doing the work, but the home team had a large squad and were able to keep fresh legs and Fylde had to work hard. The first goal was conceded by Fylde by a lucky deflection on a short corner. Fylde kept their heads high and played on. Natalie Smith, Jess Egan, Louise Eastham and Soraya Rigby worked hard in the midfield and chased down every ball and fought at every opportunity to redirect play. Claire Thornhill, Debbie McClelland and Dawn Perruza established a strong defence and numerous attacks on goal were held back, even after an injury and conceding a second goal, Fylde didn’t give up. Felicity Flood Whittle used all her strengths and experience to defend her goal confidently. Half-time talk brought Fylde out with new determination. Marking was extra tight in the D and the home team's options were shut down time after time to their frustration. Fylde started to get more balls through on the right and had a much better presence in the oppositions D, but Abi Wesley, Sophie Rawlinson and Abbie Warbutons struggled to get a shot on goal despite their best efforts. Tragedy hit 8 minutes before full time. An opposition played ran into Louise Eastham, Fylde's right half, and this was an injury Fylde couldn’t come back from and so they requested to end the game at that point. We are pleased to report Louise is ok and resting with her torn ligament and replaced her stick with crutches for a few weeks rest. It was a difficult match on many levels but the 5 Xl have truly established their motto for the season “Win as a team, lose as a team”. To quote one of the parents spectating “It’s wasn’t the best match to spectate but I’m so happy our club has adults who know how to lead by example and show our girls the value of good sportsmanship, winning and losing with grace and remembering to have fun”

Fylde 6 (F) 5 - 0 Clitheroe Blackburn Northern 4 (F)

North West Women's Division 5 North (Central)

Fylde Ladies 6th team had a fine win on Saturday, defeating Clitheroe & Blackburn 4th Team 5-0.

The young Fylde team, which sees a changing line up every week, were organised well by Captain Heather Appleyard. Heather had the pleasure of playing alongside her daughter, Lauren, who also scored a brace.

Sophie Wareing scored the first goal of the match, Laura Arts, another new young recruit to senior hockey this season, scored one and Kelly Wiseman, energetic thoughout, completed the scoring line-up.

Player of the Match was jointly awarded to Kelly Wiseman and Katie Sloane.

Fylde 1 (M) 2 - 8 Timperley 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 1 The Men's 1XI took on a strong Timperley 2XI at Mill Farm, once again renewing the rivalry that had been lost over the past 12 months due to the pandemic.

Timperley started the game very strong and almost took the lead straight from Fylde's push back, with the majority of the first half continuing in this manner. Fylde were not at their best due to a number of players missing through long term injuries sustained in the opening two weeks of the season. At half time Fylde were 5-0 down but took the half time break to regroup and to move back to basics in their play.

The second half was much more positive and Fylde grabbed two goals back, through captain Jamie Oakes and Gareth Sym, and should have scored more. Although the fightback did dwindle as the half moved forward with Timperley grabbing a couple of goals on the counter attack as Fylde were pushing to get back into the game. The final result being 8-2.

Lancaster University 1 (M) 5 - 0 Fylde 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 3 North Fylde went to the Univeristy of Lancaster and found themselves 3-0 down very early in the first half. Lancaster were a young fit fast side and Fylde went in 4 down at the break. Much improved in the second half Fylde had a few chances but conceded again late on for the match to finish 5-0 to the home side.

Preston 5 (M) 3 - 1 Fylde 3 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North Fylde Mens 3's played Preston 5's at the UCLan sports arena in Preston, which several of the Fylde players remember well when it was used as the home pitch for Springfields before the move to Mill Farm and name change to Fylde. Preston pressed Fylde from the start, and scored first from a short corner. Fylde started to get into the game with runs down the left from James Smith and Martin Stringfellow. However Preston struck again from a counter attack, splitting the Fylde defence, and finding an unmarked player to slot home. Fylde fiddled with their formation to strengthen the midfield in the second half, and were making some inroads before tragedy struck. Pete Latimer was hit by a ball which flew up his stick whilst trying to stop a shot at goal at the top of the D. Play was stopped for a few minutes while he was bandaged up Terry Butcher style, and the blood on the pitch rinsed off. Captain Ollie Holmes moved into defence, but it was only a few minutes before Preston managed to score again, while Fylde were still getting used to the new positions. Despite being 3-0 down, Fylde never wavered, and started making some inroads for the remainder of the half. Good work from Richard Clarke led to a ball into the D for Nigel Sadler to put a shot on goal, which was initially saved by the keeper, only for veteran Chris Hills to pounce on for his first goal this century (historical records are still being scoured to check that claim). Young defender Connor McClelland had the most energy on the pitch and started advancing down the left wing, joining up with James Smith, and putting pressure around Preston's D. A goal-bound flick rom Nigel Sadler was saved by the keeper's helmet (whether he knew about it is a different question), and the ball bobbled down, and with a bit of a goal mouth scramble, Chris Hills thought he had scored a second goal, but it was disallowed as the ball had touched Richard Clarke after bouncing off the keeper's helmet, much to Fylde's dismay. Fylde's efforts to score were hampered even further when James Smith pulled a hamstring when rushing in on goal with only the goalkeeper to beat, leading to Pete Latimer re-entering the contest for the last few minutes, bandages flowing in the wind, but no goal was to be found and the final score was a 3-1 loss for Fylde.

Fylde 4 (M) cancelled Preston 6 (M)

North West Men's Division 5 North Fylde Men didn't have enough players to field a 4th team, and had to concede the game against Preston 6's.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page