top of page

Ladies & Mens Match Reports 26 Mar 2022

Fylde 1 (F) 1 - 1 Doncaster 1 (F)

Vitality Women's Conference North

Fylde started off strong in the heat, with a good intensity following on from the game the previous week. After many attacks down the line with hard passes from Taegan O'Hara and Lucy Woods, Fylde were unlucky to not get a score.

Starting the second quarter with some aims to double transfer, lead high and not dribble too much with the ball in the middle, Fylde set out hungry for a goal. Putting up a tough fight against a physical team at half-time the score was 0-0.

Coming back after half-time, Fylde had 90% of the possession in the third quarter with many attacks into the D, just not being able to get a goal with shots from difficult angles and a couple of balls lost across the penalty spot. Unfortunately a short corner was awarded to Doncaster, which lead to a drag flick from them putting them 1-0 ahead at the end of the third quarter.

Fylde desperate to not lose, went out in the final quarter with something to fight for. With some great runs from Hattie Madden, and dribbling down the right hand side of the pitch, across to the top of the D, a pass to Bo Madden to get a reverse stick shot at goal putting the score 1-1 with all to play for.

After most of the play being in Doncaster’s defensive half, Fylde were unfortunate not to come away with a win. The game ended 1-1. A brilliant game of hockey and setting up the foundations for hopefully a good result next week against Timperley.

Fylde 2 (F) 3 - 1 Liverpool Sefton 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 1

Scorers: Dawn Child (2), Chelsea Atkinson

Penrith 1 (F) 4 - 2 Fylde 3 (F)

North West Women's Division 2 North

Scorers: Georgie Hampson, Lucy Wane

Brookfield 1 (F) 4 - 0 Fylde 4 (F)

North West Women's Division 3 North (Central)

An away trip to Walton le Dale high school for the Ladies 4th team to take on 2nd in the table Brookfield Ladies 1 XI. The first obstacle was finding the changing rooms, with the aid of the opposition we thought we were onto a winner but they were locked so we ended up in the car park. In the absence of our trusted coach Martin Stringfellow (who dared to take a ski holiday mid season) we prepared with a team talk with the main aim for people to learn one another’s names as the side was much changed from the usual squad. A light warm-up on the pitch trying not to expand too much energy in the midday heat.

As expected Brookfields started strong with the first goal coming from a penalty corner in the 10th minute. Fylde's defence battled well and held Brookfield off from continued attacks and a further penalty corner. An injury to Sophie Finney saw her leave the match early which was a shame as she was getting stuck in playing the right half position. A second goal was conceded before half time taking it to 2-0.

Second half was nail biting for the parents supporting from the sideline. Injury to Kirtika Saravanen saw her leave the field for a short period. Goalkeeper Dani Howarth made some great saves tipping a couple of attacks over the crossbar and wide of the goal. There were some tired legs in the heat and backs were to the wall, but everyone battled until the end. Final result 4-0.

Overall a tough game for a much changed side, some great performances. Only thing for it was a trip to the hospital inn beer garden. Shout outs to Liz Johnson, Georgia Nicholls and Laura Arts for their 4th team debuts and Ruby Cosgrove for smashing her 1st senior match. Player of the match: Kirtika Saravanen

Fylde 5 (F) 1 - 0 Lancaster 3 (F)

North West Women's Division 4 North (Central)

Fylde Ladies 5th Xl should have been finished for the season last week. They were however back at Mill Farm for one last rescheduled game against Lancaster 3 Xl.

The weather was verging on the tropical and Heather Appleyard had to wear her shades to umpire partly because the team are cool and partly due to the sunshine. Fran Loffler Thompson put on the goalie kit one last time for the season and Fylde got in the pre game huddle to outline the game plan: 1. Fun 2.Fun 3.Fun and we were off.

Fylde discovered quickly the reason hockey is a winter sport and wished that had brought 4 more subs. That said the game was hard fought every second. Tiana Mosley, Claire Bennett and Megan Eccles made sure Fran didn’t break into a sweat with very few real attempts in goal. The midfield of Katie Sloane, Katie Leil, Liddy Eccles and Jess Egan worked relentlessly to gain possession. The ball was worked up time and time again and attempts on goal were numerous.

Eve Clarkson's debut on 5th team didn’t disappoint, Abbie Warbuton dominated the right but sadly captain Debbie Mcclelland had inadvertently brought the stick with a hole in it, missing goal-scoring chances from the left. Lancaster had a strong keeper and their tight man-marking in the D made it difficult for Fylde. Several short corners were won and Fylde even found the back of the net from a hit from Jess Egan but alas the ball had been raised and the cries of joy from the stands were but a folly. Then Granny Soraya Rigby stepped into action and finally found the back of the net.

The team battled on through the heat which “feels like 25 degrees” according to Tiana. The final whistle came as a relief. Final score Fylde 5Xl 1 -0 Lancaster 3Xl. Win as a team lose as a team.

Prescot 1 (M) 7 - 5 Fylde (M)

North West Men's Division 1

After the convincing win over 4th place Liverpool Sefton the previous week, the Men’s 1s went in to the game against Prescot needing a win to secure a place in Div 1 for the 2022/23 season and safety from relegation.

Prescot having suffered 4 losses also looking for points on the board to secure safety for the season meant it was all on the line this week. Fylde had their strongest start in a game so far converting their first attack inside 1 minute (32 seconds) through a first time shot from Phil Hope which found the bottom left corner, leaving us all shocked as to what had just happened!

Soon after the home side had managed to settle and with a 3 sub advantage over the visiting 11 players from Fylde, rotated their field well, making some tactical changes in their front line to tire the legs of the Fylde back 4. They soon found an opening, bringing the game to 1-1. Fylde, struggling with no subs, the extreme heat and a pitch so dry, it was like playing on Velcro, managed to keep composed and a ball over the top from skipper Sym found Ryan Nicholls open who attacked the D and on his reverse slotted the ball in to the back of the net through the GK legs, advantage to Fylde.

The home side continued to attack and use their subs well, some last ditch defending and shot stopping from Danny Taylor meant the scoreline was kept down until a loose ball found its way to an unmarked attacker in the D who fired the ball into the back of the Fylde goal. Tired and a mentally exhausted Fylde now having to dig deep to do the extra running and keep the opposition from attacking found themselves overrun and defending countless attacks from the home side, a well worked short corner routine from the home side made the score 3-2 and Fylde now having to chase the game and find 2 goals to secure safety.

Two more goals from the home side before the half time whistle took the game to 5–2 and the game now slowly running away from Fylde. Fylde managed to find the net one more time before the half-time break through Ryan Nicholls who made a great solo run from the left, taking on his defender and slotting the ball beyond the GK in to the bottom corner, 5-3 half-time score.

The second half, much like the first was one which would see Fylde needing to dig deep, work hard for each other and play some smart hockey, which is exactly what the team did in the first 10 minutes and managing to bring the game back to 5 -5. The first came from a short corner which skipper Gareth Sym converted, that’s his 10th penalty corner goal of the season. The second came from an unlikely source of Adam Ball, the midfield dynamo pouncing on a loose ball in the home team's D and making sure it found the back of the net! A great goal for the future Fylde star and a first for him in his debut season for the Coasters 1s.

Unfortunately it wasn’t enough as the final 5 minutes of the game was disastrous and the home side using fresh legs to run riot in the forward line, finding 2 extra goals and taking all 3 points from a very tired away side.

University of Liverpool taking 3 points from a normally solid Didsbury side now means Fylde have a must win game against the University side in the last game of the season next week at Mill Farm.

Preston 4 (M) 12 - 3 Fylde 3 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North

For a sixth time this season, Fylde Men’s 3’s played one of Preston’s many teams, this time the league leaders Preston 4’s in their own back yard.

On a hot sunny day, more like August than March, Fylde started confidently with a clear gameplan, attacking Preston as much as defending, and making full use of their 3 subs.

Despite Preston scoring first early in the game, Fylde competed throughout the pitch, and found gaps in the high press that Preston imposed. Preston scored a second, but Fylde responded when a long ball from Chris Banks found striker Luke Cosgrove in space within the D, and he managed to beat the goalkeeper to bring the score back to 1-2.

Preston upped their pressure, and won several short corners. One of which deflected and hit captain Connor McClelland nastily on his neck, which temporarily winded him. After a brief pause, and drinks break for both teams, play resumed. The remainder of the half brought more goals from Preston with Fylde still attacking, but not being quite as clinical, with several short corners of their own squandered.

A half-time formation change for Fylde seemed to make a difference for a short period, including the first goal of the half. Jack Williams was unleased on the right wing and dribbled the ball into the D, crossing to the penalty spot where young Bertie Jones was in space and able to shoot directly into the goal evading the oncoming keeper, for his first senior goal just a few months after his 13th birthday.

Preston soon showed their superior skills and ran in a number of goals, with Fylde reverting back to their original formation. Harry Marsh scored another for Fylde with a great strike, but otherwise it was Preston’s half and they finished 12-3 winners.

Fylde finish their season next week at home against Kendal 2’s in the hope that a win could mean they leapfrog Lytham out of the relegation places.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page