top of page

Men's Match Reports 19/10/19

Bowdon 3XI 1-1 Fylde 1XI

North Hockey League Division 3

Fylde’s 1st team looked to build on last week's impressive performance but could only come away with a 1-1 draw from Bowdon, maintaining their unbeaten start to the season.

The squad welcomed back James Oakes but unfortunately were missing Josh Boyne, Josh Payne and Kristian Brandwood, as they headed for an early push back at Bowdon.

Bowdon actually had the better possession over the opening exchanges as Fylde struggled to find their passing rhythm that had been so fluent the week before and were lucky not to concede from a few short corners. However Fylde grew into the game and managed to sustain some pressure on the Bowdon defence which led to a number of short corners, and despite some good opportunities were unable to convert.

The pressure continued and thankfully Fylde were able to find the passing patterns that had served them so well from the week before, with James Oakes finding Jordan Payne inside the area who dispatched a first time slap inside the near post to give them the lead heading into half time.

After an impassioned speech from skipper Simon Major at half time about maintaining the work ethic and continuing to exert pressure on Bowdon’s back line, Fylde started the second half well with a number of chances. Despite these chances created, with the best two falling to Oakes and Major (with the former hitting the post), they were unable to extend their lead.

With just a one goal advantage the inevitable push from Bowdon came and despite some inspired defending from both Major and Jepson, the home side found the equaliser with only minutes to go.

Unfortunately in the dying minutes of the game Nigel Sadler was seriously injured. Despite his courageous efforts to finish the game, the team received the news they feared later in the evening that they will be missing him for the coming 6-8 weeks as he has broken his wrist.

Whilst this wasn’t the result Fylde wanted they still remain level with Timperley on points at the top of the table and with their unbeaten record intact. They look forward to welcoming Chester to Mill Farm next weekend.

Fylde 2XI 5-3 Formby 3XI

North West Hockey League Division 2 North

Fylde Mens 2XI kicked off the day at Mill Farm playing host to Formby 3XI at 1130 on Saturday. After getting an away point at Northern last weekend the team were well up for the game and confident they could secure all three points.

It wasn’t long before the home side opened the scoring through newcomer Charlie Parker who now has two from two. A second goal came in the form of a solo effort with Aaron Sadler carrying the ball from inside his own half to slot the ball comfortably under the Formby keeper.

Formby, a mix of youngsters and experienced England Masters players sneaked a goal back with a tap in at the near post from a long ball. Ryan Nicholls then opened his goal scoring account for the season just before half time after linking up well with Alan Simpson and Ben Mortimer.

The second half brought a further two goals, the first a short corner strike from captain Simon Allen, followed by Alex Brandwood with an excellent finish on the upright reverse. Formby picked up a further two goals, but it was Fylde who come away with a 5-3 win and the 3 points.

The team make the short trip to Preston next Saturday at 15:30 and hope to continue their recent run of good form.

Fylde 3XI 2-1 South Manchester HC 1XI

North West Hockey League Division 3 North

Fylde 3's recorded their first win of the season after a tight match at home against South Manchester 1's.

Fylde took a early lead by winning a short corner, and despite the first shot being saved, Tim Wilson was on hand for the rebound and he made no mistake with his shot.

Both sides attacked and defended resolutely throughout the half. Manchester had a counter attack which led to a striker entering the D with only the goalkeeper to beat. Danny Taylor rushed out and dived to try and clear the ball, but his timing was slightly out and instead fouled the striker, which led to a penalty stroke being awarded. However he made amends by pulling off a stunning save diving to his right to keep Fylde leading the game.

Manchester pressed hard during the second half, putting a lot of pressure on Fylde's defence and midfield, but they held firm for a long time, including several short corners. There was a horrible incident when a kick from Danny Taylor bounced up into the face of one of Manchester's strikers. After a few minutes the striker was ready to resume with just some bruising on his cheek (and hopefully nothing more serious subsequently).

With Fylde only having 11 players, and Manchester traveling with a full squad of 13-14, Fylde were increasingly overrun and Manchester kept pressing. From a defensive hit out, Chris Nicholls passed round the back to Pete Latimer in the centre who tried to pass through an advancing striker, but was intercepted, with the striker then dribbling into the D and shooting past the goalkeeper.

With only minutes left of the game, Fylde attacked with more purpose, and some great work down the right wing with Duke Jones passing to captain Ollie Holmes who eluded several defenders before crossing into the D for Martin Hayes to take possession and launch a reverse-stick shot into the goal.

Final score 2-1 to Fylde, and whilst in some ways they were fortunate, they also battled hard for the three points, and this should kick-start their season.

Preston 6XI 1-2 Fylde 4XI

North West Hockey League Division 4 North North

With only ten players, Fylde 4's played their best game of the season so far by beating local rivals Preston 6's 2-1. Two late withdrawals on Friday night led to a late call-up and season debut for James Smith who then also added a goal, together with one from Hugo Mace.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page