top of page

Men's Match Reports 16/11/19

Prescot 1XI 2-7 Fylde 1XI

North Hockey League Division 3

Fylde continued their winning form with a dominating win away at third pace Prescot. Fylde welcomed back Jack Cropper into the side, following his transfer from Preston to further increase Fylde’s midfield options.

Fylde were expecting a physical game, but probably not the high pressing style that Prescot played, and were lucky not to concede in the opening minutes with some early pressure. However once Fylde found their rhythm, led by a composed a Cropper in the middle of the park, they soon took the lead. Jordan Payne opened the scoring , finishing off a fine team move and just getting to the ball ahead of the keeper. Josh Payne quickly made it two, his penalty corner flicked into the net. HT 2-0

Prescot came out firing in the second half and when their striker found space he finished clinically high into the net. Game on perhaps? But despite this blip, Fylde started to exert their dominance and quickly put the game beyond doubt. James Oakes was first to react to a rebound of the keeper to make it 3 and once that went in, they ran riot. The Payne brothers grabbed one more each to make it 5 and continue their race to be the sides top scorer this season. A first time ball from Sam Bury set up Josh Boyne, who’s smart turn and shot made it 6 and captain Simon Major fired past Prescot’s keeper for the seventh, with man of the match Jordan Payne making sure on the line, completing his hat-trick. Prescot did have a late resurgence, scoring a consolation goal after a well worked move and forcing Nick Rainbow into a matrix-style save to deny them a third on the final whistle. FT 7-2

Fylde remain level on points with Timperley at the top of the league, but have now created a four point gap in the promotion spots down to third. They face Winnington Park at home next Saturday.

Fylde 2XI 2-0 Leyland & Chorley 1XI

North West Hockey League Division 2 North

Fylde second team looked to build on their recent run of good form, taking on second placed Leyland and Chorley.

In what was to be a hard fought encounter Fylde knew they had to play the game at their pace utilising their back line, switching the play to brake the opposition down. After a spell of dominance that lasted well over 20 minutes for Fylde, Phil Hope slid in across the face of the D with a true strikers finish to slot home and take the home side 1-0 up at the break.

Leyland and Chorley came out in the second half fighting to get back into the match, setting up in Fylde’s half, winning a total of 8 short corners. With some resolute defending at the back and fantastic work-rate from midfielders Alex Horrocks and Alan Simpson, the pressure was too much for Leyland and Chorley who failed to convert a single opportunity.

As Leyland and Chorley continued to press, Fylde’s counter attack lead by young Chris Walker and even younger Ryan Nicholls lead to some fantastic opportunities to put the game to bed. Whilst those chances didn’t result in a goal, their pressure forced Leyland and Chorley to give away one short corner too many, with Alex Brandwood deflecting the ball past the keeper to take it to 2-0 for Fylde.

Bolton 2XI 2-1 Fylde 3XI

North West Hockey League Division 3 North

Fylde had the luxury of a substitute for the first time in 7 weeks, and a strong squad for the away game against Bolton 2's.

Fylde started with a more defensive 4-4-2 formation, and it seemed key to holding on from the initial Bolton attacking pressure. Fylde gradually built up their own possession with Andy Lund at left back and Craig Tilley at right back able to distribute with well struck shots. Fylde took the lead when Jay Mayne entered the D on the left wing and passed across to Caine Draper who drilled his shot past the goalkeeper.

Fylde held on to their 1-0 lead till half-time, and even discussed what would Bolton change in the second half. They soon found out with more intense Bolton pressure, pushing numbers forward. A quick goal with an unmarked player at the far post, and then minutes later, a shot from the top of the D had a slight deflection from the striker just in front of the goalkeeper, enough to elude him.

Suddenly Fylde were losing and having to chase the game. There was too many hopeful long balls, but chances were still being made, and there was very nearly a goal from two defenders when Craig Tilley lashed in a strike across the D from the right which Phil Weir was unlucky not to make contact after a forceful run into the D.

Fylde became frustrated and had their central defender Pete Latimer sin-binned for a poorly timed diving tackle which took out a skillful Bolton player dribbling at the top of the D. In some ways, Bolton could have scored more, with numerous short corners, but the Fylde defensive unit were generally solid and Stephen Pope in goal had a great game with a number of assertive clearances.

The final whistle blew for a Bolton 2-1 victory and Fylde felt deflated for a game that they had a chance of winning. Tim Wilson was voted Man of the Match for his central midfield performance, but his fellow midfielders all aged 16 or under also had good games Duke Jones, Hugo Mace and Alex Eastham.

Fylde 4XI 2-2 Kendal 2XI

North West Hockey League Division 4 North North

It was going to be a tough contest for Fylde 4s this week as they faced league leaders Kendal. However as soon as the match started it was obvious that Fylde were up for the challenge.

Fylde pushed forward hard and put Kendal under pressure and the Kendal defence working hard to keep Fylde from taking the lead. Then Kendal made a break and whilst Fylde chased they got 2 men into the Fylde area and slotted the ball passed the keeper. Fylde continued to put Kendal under pressure but couldn't get the ball into the goal so the first half ended 0-1 to Kendal.

The half time team talk must have done the trick as Fylde came out fighting. A cross in from Tim Woodman allowed Martin Hayes to equalise and get Fylde back in the game. Shortly after, another cross from Oscar Harkins to Martin Hayes gave Fylde the lead that they deserved. As full time approached Fylde looked set to topple the league leaders. Then, after several pushes from Kendal which were saved by Fylde keeper and Captain, Craig Nutter, (including an alleged slow motion clearance) Kendal eventually managed to find the back of the goal with the assistance of a Fylde defender.

The game finished 2-2 in possibly the best match of the 4's season so far.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page