top of page

Ladies & Mens Match Reports 30 Oct 2021

Fylde 1 (F) 3 - 0 Neston 1 (F)

Vitality Women's Conference North

The game started of fast with Neston into Fylde’s half using quick pace on the ball. As Fylde put up a great fight the ball was intercepted and rapidly passed up front, where a breakthrough occurred, and it was 2v2. As Hannah Cook received the ball she manoeuvred around the goalie and pushed it to the bottom right.

As the game went through to the 2nd quarter, the possession was mainly controlled by the Fylde ladies with Lucy Woods making wide-reaching transfers across the back, causing Neston to tire and opening the middle sector for Bo Madden and Viki Rukin to play nicely of each other. As Neston regained control they were quick to move with the ball and release it to their attackers. The quick movement resulted in Fylde back tracking to their D and conceding a short corner. Nevertheless an amazing pick from Lucy Woods on the line saved Fylde from conceding.

Into the 3rd quarter and Neston arrive with their quick feet once again and are straight up into Fylde’s ‘D’. 2 short corners later, with saves from goalie Anya Jackson, still no goals conceded.

3D skills along the baseline gave Fylde and opportunity with a short. They took the opportunity in hand as Hannah Cook was ready on the post. With a fumble from Neston on the line Hannah was there to finish it off. The score line now read 2-0. As the quarter was coming to an end, more skills across the baseline resulted in the ball pushed to the back post, eliminating the goalie, and ensuring another goal.

The last quarter was controlled by Fylde with many opportunities down the side lines but the score remained the same. With the game to an end the score read 3-0 to Fylde Ladies, and they are up to 2nd in the league.

Fylde 2 (F) 2 - 1 Didsbury Greys 1 (F)

North West Women's Division 1 Fylde started very well with fantastic pressure and attack. The forwards and midfielders did a great job double teaming and turning play over from defence to attack with lots of play in the oppositions 25. From the first short corner, a great strike from Lisa Swaine although the keeper managed to get a touch on it only for Emma Dunkerley to pick up the loose ball and score bottom corner. More pressure from the forwards and some brilliant defensive work plus positive linking with midfield to get Fylde in the attack. Unfortunately from one of the few attacks that Didsbury had, Fylde couldn’t quite clear their lines, and Didsbury managed to equal the score line with a scrappy goal. Fylde kept their heads and after half time won corner after corner with one of them being put away by Dawn Child to see the home team lead 2-1. The rest of the match saw end to end attacks but Fylde managed to keep their shape and tactics to ensure they kept the lead to the end.

Lancaster & Morecambe 1 (F) 0 - 1 Fylde 3 (F)

North West Women's Division 2 North Fylde made the journey to the University of Cumbria, after two weeks away from the pitch the ladies were looking to blow off the cobwebs and secure their third win of the season. A tough game awaited for them and there were many scares from the Lancaster and Morecambe midfield who intercepted the ball and succeeded in passing possession to their high forwards. Over the first half Fylde got into the grove and maintained possession for long periods of the game, with five corners in a row Fylde looked threatening but could not find the back of the net despite many chances. The first half ended 0-0. The second half started much like the first, Fylde linked up well with brilliant runs from Charlotte Gornall and Marcy Jeffrey on the wings linking up well with the forward line of Kate Tinsley, Layla Wholey, Laura Knowles and Megan Coar who picked up many through balls from the midfield. Lancaster and Morecambe’s tactics remained much the same, they capitalised on interceptions from Fylde and punished moments where Fylde had not set up properly, each time the defence of Becky Evans, Abigail Johnson and new goalkeeper Eva Earnshaw expertly dealt with their attacking play. The game continued to be end to end, again Fylde had multiple short corners and one was swiftly deflected by captain Georgie Hampson to make the score 1-0. Lancaster & Morecambe came back strong gaining momentum and threatening the Fylde defence several times, the game ended with the home team gaining a short corner as the final whistle went. A tense way to end but Marcy Jeffrey swiftly deflected the shot on goal to earn Fylde their third win putting them firmly in the top half of the table. MOM - Abigail Johnson

Clitheroe Blackburn Northern 2 (F) 2 - 4 Fylde 4 (F)

North West Women's Division 3 North (Central) Fylde Ladies 4th team had a nervous start to their game on Saturday away against opponents Clitheroe and Blackburn Northern. With strong passing down the right from Amy Carter and Lisa Perry the attacks starting coming. The first goal was scored by Lauren Appleyard from a short corner however Clitheroe and Blackburn quickly equalised making the score 1-1. Fylde pulled it back with a goal from open play by Patsy Crowther. Again, soon after Fylde conceded making the score 2-2! After half time the third goal was scored by Keira Tomes. Following the team's numerous warnings, Victoria Latham took one for the team and received a green card. A quick break from midfield by Lali Atherton with a pass out to Lisa Perry on the wing and cross back into the D resulted in the final goal from Lali Atherton. End result 4-2.

Leyland & Chorley 1 (F) 6 - 0 Fylde 5 (F)

North West Women's Division 4 North (Central) Fylde Ladies 5Xl fought a great game away against Leyland and Chorley 1Xl, but unfortunately the opposition had a few exceptional players with experience and strength behind them in both attack and defence. The defence kept fighting, refusing to give up and stopped numerous attempts on goal. Fran Loffler Thompson made some amazing saves, in particular in the first half, diving the full length of the goal to clear the ball. Clare Thornhill stayed solid in the left back and battled to keep the ball out of the D, stopping the opposition centre forward striking. Fylde came close from a number of short corners but were unable to secure the goal that their play deserved.

Fylde worked as a team and continued to keep spirits high going into the second half, although already 2-0 down they didn’t let it stop them. There were some great runs down the line made by Lucy Wane and Katie Leil and the team should be proud of the effort they put in. The team motto ‘Win as a team, lose as a team’ definitely shone through. Final score Leyland and Chorley 1Xl won 6-0.

Fylde (M) 3 - 3 Didsbury Northern 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 1 The Men’s 1XI took on Didsbury looking to build on their last performance away at Alderley Edge. The game started slow with no real action as both teams settled into the game, but it was Didsbury who struck first with their first shot of the game.

Fylde rallied and were level 10 minutes later through a sweeping counterattack resulting with Simon Holt tapping into an empty net. This kickstarted Fylde and for the next 10 minutes they played some beautiful hockey which resulted in them heading to half time 3-1 up with two goals from Jamie Oakes.

Unfortunately Fylde came out in the second half slowly and Didsbury pulled one back within five minutes. However Fylde grew into the game once more and could have had a couple more goals, unfortunately these were not taken.

In the end Fylde were punished for these missed chances with Didsbury equalising with ten seconds left, meaning there was no time to even restart the game.

The man of the match award going to Jay Currey for the third successive week.

Kirkby Lonsdale 1 (M) 4 - 0 Fylde 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 3 North Fylde Men’s 2’s had a torrid time away against Kirkby Lonsdale 1’s, losing 4-0, and now look like being in a relegation fight for the rest of the season.

Fylde 3 (M) 6 - 6 Kirkby Lonsdale 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North Fylde Men's 3's had the last timeslot at Mill Farm, and with previous matches overrunning it was nearer 5pm before starting their relegation 6-pointer against Kirkby Lonsdale 2's. Fylde had the perfect start, with the first goal scored by a Martin Hayes straight shot at a short corner. However the remainder of the half was a nightmare for the team with 4 goals conceded, loss of possession in key areas of the pitch, and an inability to make attacks count. After a rousing half-time speech by stand-in captain Andy Lund, on his 50th birthday with a personal supporters club looking on, the team looked to turn things around in the second half, but instead went 5-1 down after some poor marking and tackling. There was a glimmer of hope a few minutes later when Nigel Sadler slipped the ball to Angus Chandler in the D who converted to make it 2-5. However, a minute later Kirkby Lonsdale regained their four goal lead at 6-2 after a defensive blunder saw the ball given away at the top of the D. What followed in the last 15 minutes of the match will become legendary to all those who witnessed it, as the sun set over Blackpool and Martin Hayes came alight under the floodlights. He scored his second after some great passing between Nigel Sadler and himself, slotting past the keeper. His hat-trick came a few minutes later when a long pass from Chris Dunkerley found Hayes in space up front, and he had a 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper, and through pure desire managed to get the ball into the goal. With barely five minutes remaining and the score line at 4-6, Fylde continued to put pressure on Kirkby Lonsdale, especially with the energy from the younger midfielders Lewis Simpson, Angus Chandler and Luke Cosgrove. An aerial ball from Craig Tilley down the right wing led to Luke Cosgrove crossing the ball into the D, and after a deflection off Nigel Sadler's stick, the resultant bobbling ball was converted by none other than Martin Hayes, for his fourth of the game. Fylde's heads were up whilst the opposition were praying for the final whistle, Fylde lost possession and it felt like the game could be over, but the team battled to regain the ball, knocked it upfield and into the D, more in hope than expectation, but who else but Martin Hayes was at hand and bungled it into the goal and then came the final whistle. Fylde celebrated as if they'd won the match, but coming back from 6-2 down to finish in a 6-6 draw was remarkable enough. Martin Hayes was unanimously awarded the Man of the Match for his 5 goals, and captain Andy Lund partied long into the night.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page