top of page

Men's Match Reports 28/02/20

Fylde 1XI 2-2 Timperley 2XI

North Hockey League Division 3

Fylde Men’s 1s looked to regroup after a disappointing first loss of the season last week and faced second in the league Timperley. Fylde started brightly with good passing movement and patience on the ball. They were quickly rewarded from Jamie Oakes with a sneaky slow roller under the keeper to give Fylde the lead on 2 minutes. Fylde kept on the pressure as Josh Boyne went close and Oakes missed his brace by inches. However Timperley kept on pushing and were rewarded with a series of penalty corners. Unfortunately for Fylde one of these hit a Fylde foot and deflected into their own goal to level the scores at half time.

The second half started slowly for Fylde who were found napping as Timperley broke through the midfield overloading the solid defence of Mortimer, Jepson, Santamera and Swaine to tap in at the back post to take the lead 2-1. Fylde frustrated and fierce took the game to Timperley, going close on numerous occasions, but the task of playing without any subs due to injury was taking its toll. Timperley won a series of 6 penalty corners, with pin point defending and some acrobatic saves from Nick Rainbow they kept the deficit to 1. On 61 minutes, Fylde won a penalty corner, with a perfectly executed routine, Boyne slipped Jepson one who made no mistake with the opportunity, firing home with power. As the minutes ticked by Fylde looked for the win and Timperley looked rattled, the whistle blew and each team took a point from the game.  

Formby 4XI 1-5 Fylde 2XI

North West Hockey League Division 2 North

Fylde Men's 2's travelled to Formby in good weather but with the expectation of strong winds and rain at the time of the late afternoon game, courtesy of Storm Jorge, and a relatively easy match given Formby‘s bottom placed position. Fylde started brightly with the majority of possession but struggled to make inroads, until Luca Sempers went on a run from the halfway line, got past his defender (although there was a suspicion of the ball hitting his foot) and was able to use his pace to run into the D and beat the keeper with his strike. Formby surprised Fylde by equalising shortly afterwards after a skilful dribble by one of their more experienced players, rounding several defenders, ending up on the byeline and managing a shot towards goal, which central defender Alex Brandwood couldn’t control and the ball deflected into the goal. Fylde retook the lead following a free hit just outside the D on the right which was switched over to left back Pete Latimer who had come upfield into space, who then quickly passed to Ryan Nicholls on the edge of the D, who took the ball on his reverse side, moved into space and struck a beautiful reverse shot into the goal.

Formby had several dangerous attacks at the start of the second half, and Fylde seemed to be struggling with their change of formation from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3 but the danger passed and Alex Horrocks and Alan Simpson resumed their control of the centre of the pitch. Fylde extended their lead with a goal from Phil Hope, pouncing on a ball that was initially saved by the goalkeeper. Captain Simon Allen grabbed a goal himself, after switching from defence to attack in the new formation. Phil Hope scored Fylde’s fifth goal, from an assist from Allen. Credit to Formby who were no pushovers, and thanks to Storm Jorge for waiting till the end of the match before really letting loose. Following Leyland’s mysterious double win over Horwich over the weekend, Fylde drop to 3rd and must now get something from the match against unbeaten league leader’s Didsbury on Saturday. 

Lancaster & morecambe 2XI 6-0 Fylde 3XI

North West Hockey League Division 3 North

Fylde 3's journey to Lancaster and Morecambe 2s ended in a miserable 6-0 defeat, with Fylde looking low in confidence and morale. It didn't take long for Lancaster to score, with fast attacks and accurate passing all over the pitch. The speed and precision of such attacks often left Fylde isolated and outnumbered in defence, which resulted in 2 further goals before half time, making it 3-0.

The second half wasn't much better, but the only real change was shifting man of the match Jake Merrick from right wing to centre midfield, where his work rate and determination where unmatched as he constantly tried to battle for possession and attacking chances for Fylde. Merrick's creativity did come close with a pass to forward Jay Mayne, who beat a Lancaster defender and tried to chip the keeper for a Fylde goal, only for it to be saved and pushed wide. Moments later the same attack happened, but Mayne instead won the short corner. Andy Lund's hit out, stopped calmly by Martin Stringfellow, set up Captain Ollie Holmes' drag flick to the top right corner of the goal. The drag flick looked hopeful for the Fylde side, nearing closer and closer to the goal, only for the Lancaster keeper to throw his arm up in surprise, save the shot with his elbow and deflect the ball wide. Lancaster solidified their win with a further 3 goals to end the game and the Fylde 3s leaving the match distraught with the performance.

Fylde 4XI

North West Hockey League Division 4 North North

No game.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page