top of page

Men's Match Reports 23/11/19

Fylde 1XI 6-2 Winnington Park 1XI

North Hockey League Division 3

Fylde men’s 1s continued their undefeated run in North hockey league div 3 west this week with a convincing 6-2 win over Winnington Park 1s.

Fylde started quickly and strong taking control of the game and most of the possession easily passing the ball around the pitch. After 10 minutes Fylde found themselves 2 up, the first coming from a Josh Payne penalty corner, promptly followed by Josh Boyne netting from the back line. Fylde continued to look creative but were unable to extend the lead until the 25th minute when Jamie Oakes reacted quickly to a loose ball and made it 3-0. The second half was not as planned for Fylde. Winnington Park struck early from a penalty corner to give them some hope. Fylde's constant changes across the field left them struggling to keep track of who was where on the pitch. Oliver Santamera thought he had got his first goal of the season, only for the Winnington defender to get the last touch and claim an own goal, extending Fylde's lead to 3 once again. This was short lived and Winnington cut through the middle of the Fylde pitch and brought it back to 2 within 60 seconds. However, Jamie Oakes had other ideas and bagged 2 more goals within 2 minutes to crush any hopes of the away team making a come back and sealing the win 6-2 and earning himself man of the match.  

St. Helens 2-4 Fylde 2XI

North West Hockey League Division 2 North

Fylde travelled to St Helens looking to extend their winning run to three games. With skipper Simon Allen still injured vice captain Dave Brown took charge for the game and stressed the importance of ball retention.

The first half ebbed and flowed with both teams creating chances but it was towards the end of the half when Fylde took the lead with Alex Horrocks converting well from a training ground short corner routine. Fylde doubled their lead just before half time, with Chris Walker finishing off a well worked move. Sadly a lack of concentration let St Helens in to pull one back on the stroke of half time.

After the break, Fylde had to endure a lengthy period of pressure, but the defence held firm with keeper Danny Taylor making a number of impressive saves. Mid way through the half Fylde extended their lead when Alex Horrocks again finished well from a short corner, turning a defender inside out before flicking into the corner of the net. However, once again  after gaining some breathing space, St Helens went straight on the attack from the restart and pulled one back immediately to make it 3-2.

The game could have gone either way at this stage, but after winning another short corner, it was that man Horrocks who once again finished impressively with another flick into the corner to complete his hatrick and effectively secure the points for Fylde.

Fylde did manage the game very well in the final quarter, limiting the home side to very few chances. There was however a little blip when young Fylde striker Luca Sempers was crudely taken out with a wild challenge, big Harry Cuthbertson decided to 'get involved' and subsequently received his marching orders.

This was another good team performance by the Fylde boys who are now working their way up the table with three successive victories. There is a good balance of youth and experience in the team who have now been together for a season and a half, and the play is noticeably improving every week. Hopes will be high that they can continue this good run of form when they travel to early season strugglers South Lakes next week.

Fylde 3XI 1-3 Didsbury 6XI

North West Hockey League Division 3 North

Fylde 3s were hosts to Didsbury 6s this week, both teams sitting at the bottom of the table in 11th and 12th respectively, it was anyone's game. Fylde started the game fairly composed, being very mindful of the Didsbury attacks and careful when forming their own. The creativity from youngsters Jake Merrick and man of the match Duke Jones were of the highest quality throughout the game due to their constant work rates and skillfful dribbling, often beating numerous Didsbury players at once. Unfortunately, they were not enough to give Fylde the goals needed to turn around recent performances. Didsbury were the first team to break the deadlock and end the first 1-0.

Fylde's composure seemed to be regained after half time with a desperate desire to potentially win their second game of the season. But it was Didsbury who began to cement their win with their second and third goals to make it 3-0 midway into the second half. Despite the scoreline, it wasn't the end for Fylde, with Richard Clarke being an unstoppable force at right back, making crucial tackles, interceptions and tackles to try and give Fylde the hope they needed. Clarke's most memorable attack was linked with Duke Jones and Harry Gordon as they performed incredible one-twos up the right flank, weaving in and out of Didsbury players. The dynamic trio were however unfortunate as Jones beat a player into the D and just missed his shot at goal, an unlucky finish to a Barcelona style attack.

Another Fylde attack looked hopeful with goal scorer Jay Mayne looking to grab Fylde's first goal of the game, only to be rugby tackled to the ground and awarded a penalty stroke, which he calmly slotted into the side of the goal making it 3-1.

A very physical game from the away side and a defiant performance from Fylde resulted in many heated moments and sin bins during the game, making the battle for avoiding relegation a memorable day for the season. 

Fylde 4XI

North West Hockey League Division 4 North North

No Game.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page