top of page

Mens & Ladies Match Reports 4 Dec 2021

Fylde (M) 6 - 2 Prescot 1 (M)

North West Men's Division 1

Fylde hosted Prescot for what has always been a high scoring game in past fixtures. The game underway and Fylde settled quickly, as they had done in so many games previously, creating some early chances, the Prescot keeper making some great saves and keeping the score level in the opening 15 minutes. Prescot, against the run of play, then managed to find a free man in the Fylde circle who latched on to a ball fired in, deflecting the ball over the keeper and into the back of the goal, 0-1 and first blood to the visitors. The visitors soon found themselves 0-2 up, intercepting a ball from a Fylde 16 and quickly shifting it to a forward who managed to slot the ball beyond the keeper. Fylde didn't let the scoreline affect them and continued to press and play some nice hockey which resulted in winning a Penalty Corner. The captain stepped up and managed to slot ball into the bottom corner 1-2 half-time score. The second half underway and Fylde started strong, defending as a unit blocking a wave of Prescot attacks and counter-attacking quickly, the visitors struggled to cope. A quick attack down the right and Fylde found themselves 2 on 1 with the goalkeeper, Jamie Oakes finishing off a well worked move. Fylde now with the wind behind them and a spring in their step continued to press the visitors, winning 50/50 balls and working hard for each other found themselves winning a Penalty Corner again, this time a well worked move slipping the ball left to Oakes who managed to find a gap under the diving goal keeper, 3-2 and Fylde now in front. Soon to be 4-2 when yet another Penalty Corner was won by the home side, Sym finding the top corner and the home side growing in confidence starting to dominate the game. Prescot still finding some moment to break through the Fylde defence but unable to find the goal, some excellent saves made by Danny Taylor keeping the scoreline at 4-2. Fylde then managed to get a quick break, Oakes finding himself with the ball in the visitors circle and slotting the ball into the bottom corner for the hat-trick. The final goal coming from yet more battles won in the midfield, Chris Walker, Si Holt and Adam Ball working hard throughout the game to make sure those battles were won by Fylde. Another attack down the right finding it's way to Oakes stick in the circle who at this point couldn't miss another goal taking his tally for the day to 4 and giving Fylde a well deserved 6-2 win, another high scoring game vs Prescot. MoM: Si Holt

Preston 5 (M) 0 - 1 Fylde 3 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North

Fylde Men’s 3’s returned to UCLan Sports Arena for the 3rd time this season on a horrendously cold, wet & windy day, in a return fixture with Preston 5’s, due to playing each of the 7 other teams in their league three times over the season.

Preston started better with several attacks, but after 10-15 minutes Fylde developed their rhythm a great display of simple passing across the whole of the pitch, showing that the training from new coach Chris Banks is starting to pay off.

A move from the back, down the left flank from Luke Hitchen-Hope, into the middle to Harry Marsh who beat a couple of defenders, passed to Nigel Sadler within the D, who controlled the ball and squeezed the ball through the defensive tackles onto Phil Hope who smashed the ball into the net, to give Fylde a deserved goal and 1-0 lead at half-time.

The second half started with more forceful gusts of wind, together with a regalvanised Preston team, who dominated possession throughout the half. Wave upon wave of attacks hit the Fylde backline, but the defence were on form denying many a chance, and Luke Whitelow being a rock in goal ensuring nothing went past him. Similar to last week’s game against Lytham, there were a series of short corners to defend against, but again the defence were up to the job. However, it wasn’t just the defensive backline, the whole team were involved, with midfielders tracking back and making vital tackles or touches around the D to frustrate Preston. Phil Hope seemed to be everywhere on the pitch, having scored the goal, he was mopping up balls in the D for much of the second half.

There were rare moments of relief when Fylde were able to push upfield, and they were relieved when the final whistle blew, and celebrated another famous 1-0 victory, which leaves them mid-table at the Xmas break, ahead of Preston on goal difference.

Liverpool Sefton 2 (F) 0 - 3 Fylde 2 (F)

North West Women's Division 1

We travelled away, On the wettest day, We were ready to battle to win, After putting all our coffee cups in the bin! A challenge under pressure at the start, But we applied our training tactics quickly and were looking as sharp as a dart, We moved the ball quickly and up to the top, A rotation of subs always ready to swap. Today played a team together and strong, For some the weather made the first half seem long, The rain, sleet, hail and wind was hard, The umpires were firm, with their decision to show some a card. A fantastic, positive game was in play, Fylde with opportunity we’re about to take it up, up and away! A ball was received by Olivia John-Haslam stepping quickly up in the press, She showed how well she can play as she made the GK stress, She controlled the ball and rolled out quickly, Then boom, she got it in the goal looking so slickly! The press we have worked so hard to build, Our coach Lisa B lept for joy as she was so thrilled! We were unlucky with a denied goal and a missed flick, However, we responded with discipline, determination and were very quick. The next goal came from lots of play from Dawn, Jayne and the rest of the midfield, Working it through and forming a solid attack like a shield, Olivia Merrick got hold of it and was driven, She swept in at from the Top of the D and took the opportunity given. The final goal came from a PC, Leaving Kelly to have a straight strike and being free, A save was made and then a scramble on the GK’s right, We all force and composure Hannah scores with all her might! Well done to everyone, Who played together as one and got the job done, We worked hard and steady, Bring on training and our next game because we are so ready!

Fylde 3 (F) 5 - 0 Penrith 1 (F)

North West Women's Division 2 North

After last week's defeat Fylde were eager to right a few wrongs, the pre-match team talk from coach Ian Swaine motivated the girls and they were fighting for the ball and maintaining possession from the starting whistle. The strong winds and bouts of torrential rain made the going tough but the midfield and defence kept up the passing play with strong runs from Emily Marsh, Abigail Johnson and Scarlett Turnock meant the forward line were continually fed the ball. Despite persistent pressure Fylde were not able to convert the possession to a goal for the first 15 minutes until a cracking run of play with Scarlett, Layla Wholey and Lisa Perry moving the ball around the right hand side and a phenomenal cross from Layla saw the ball get tucked into the net. Another goal soon followed by Lucia Stefani. Half time 2-0. The second half started much like the first, strong winds, horizontal rain and a determined Fylde. Long periods of possession broken up by the odd break in play from Penrith. Excellent passing play from Lisa Perry and Georgie Hampson in the middle soon saw another goal set up and scored by Toni Phoenix-Cole followed shortly by a deflection in from Katie Tinsley. Fylde saw a 10 minute spell where they couldn’t maintain possession consistently and Penrith had multiple shots on goal and even a penalty corner. The pressure was expertly handled by the defence, notably with Becky Evans beating the ball to the top of the D as first runner in the penalty corner. When Fylde regained possession they then kept it for the rest of the half with Layla Wholey finishing off the game with a second goal. Scorers: Layla(2), Toni, Katie, Lucia Mom: Lisa Perry

Fylde 4 (F) 1 - 3 Brookfield 1 (F)

North West Women's Division 3 North (Central)

The Ladies 4th team hosted second in the league Brookfield at their home ground Mill Farm. The experienced opposition took an early lead followed in quick succession by a stick deflection past the Fylde keeper to make it 0-2. The team talk in the changing rooms before the fixture, from coach Martin Stringfellow, resulted in a well-executed penalty corner goal from Lauren Appleyard before half time.

Kirtika Saravanan made her debut in midfield and battled hard to prevent further attacks from Brookfield alongside Ariana Milligan and Lali Atherton. The Fylde forward line of Patsy Crowther, Carly Wilde and Fiona Quarmby attacked but struggled to break down the Brookfield back line. Several successive short corners awarded to Brookfield were not converted due to saves from keeper Felicity Flood-Whittle and clearances from defenders Victoria Latham and Rachel Lees.

The game was well fought and improved defending prevented a heavier defeat than previous weeks.

All the other teams have finished for their Christmas breaks.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page