top of page

Ladies & Mens Match Reports 5 & 6 Mar 2022

Fylde 1 (F) 0 – 2 Leeds 1 (F)

Vitality Women’s Conference North

Fylde XI had a tough game against top of league Leeds on Saturday 5th March. Leeds put a lot of pressure on Fylde in the first quarter but Fylde’s defence kept strong, with some fantastic saves from goalkeeper Anya Jackson. Fylde continued to put up a good fight against Leeds. The team effort was brilliant with some fantastic play from man of the match Vicky Rukin. Fylde created some chances in the D but unfortunately couldn’t manage to convert them. In the final quarter, Leeds pressed hard and managed to convert two short corners in the final 5 minutes of play. It was a tough game but Fylde battled well and were unfortunate to come away with a 2-0 loss.

Fylde 1 (F) 2 – 0 Wakefield 1 (F)

Vitality Women’s Conference North

The following day, Sunday 6th, was the rearranged match at home against Wakefield, after the original was postponed due to a rare snowfall and frozen pitch on Saturday 19th Feb.

Pru Lindsay scored twice to secure the victory and lift the team out of the relegation zone up to 6th, with 2nd place still achievable in the super-tight Conference North with four winnable games remaining.

Fylde 2 (F) 1 – 0 Oldham 1 (F)

North West Women's Division 1

Off we went to Oldham to play,

A few bits of traffic but nothing too much in our way,

We were set with tunes and tactics board prepped,

Oldham needed to be worried as they realised they were out of their depth!

We passed, we linked and pressed well,

They had to think of another plan for the coach to tell,

Tackles were solid but some didn’t agree,

Even when we got in and on the edge of the D!

The ball was played with pace and power,

Our players battled hard and stood as tall as a tower,

Play continued with battles and scrappy play,

Surely now, we need a decision our way!

A ball was played over the line,

However, unfortunately the umpire didn’t see it this time.

This was hard but we remained disciplined as one,

Great defending from EJ and Emily as the ball had travelled far and had gone.

A couple of unfortunate tackles resulted in Beth and Emma being sent off the pitch,

Well done to Lisa, Abi and Carly for working hard not getting a stitch.

Beth spoke on the side,

She said she knows a spot to hide,

I will score from there with a hit,

I told her to get back on and go and get in it!

Less than 2 mins later she was in the space,

Eager to get the ball and win the race,

We passed and were determined to be number one,

Beth strikes as she said and well the game was done!

Fylde 3 (F) 7 – 2 Pendle Forest 2 (F)

North West Women’s Division 2 North

Fylde 3s welcomed Pendle Forest 2s to Mill Farm. Fylde pressed Pendle from the off, consistently intercepting possession but at times losing possession as quickly as they had gained it.

Strong runs from forwards Katie Tinsley and Megan Coar soon put Pendle under pressure and support by midfielder Lucy Bridges and Laura Knowles soon made it 1-0.

Half-way through the first half Megan Coar neatly slotted the ball to make it 2-0. Fylde didn’t have it all their own way though, with a bad tackle Katie Tinsley found herself on a green card and Pendle tried to make the one-man advantage count. With pressing runs and mistakes from the Fylde defensive line Pendle soon made it 2-1. A short time later a foot on the line meant Fylde had a penalty stroke which was converted to goal by Captain Becky Evans, 3-1 at half time.

The second half saw pressing play from both teams with both teams gaining possession and then quickly losing possession, this meant the game was often end to end stretching both teams and creating gaps allowing Tinsley to net her second goal of the game 4-1.

Fylde’s confidence grew and the defence also started to push high with strong attacking runs from Scarlett Turnock, Poppy Chester and Lauren Appleyard allowing the forwards to get on the post and Coar to get her second of the game, 5-1.

With attacking play gaps also opened up in defence and Pendle took their chance to make it 5-2. Now that Fylde had retained the ball they were determined not to let it go and Laura Knowles and Tinsley both scored in quick succession making the end score 7-2.

Scorers: Katie Tinsley x 3, Megan Coar x 2, Laura Knowles, Becky Evans (penalty stroke)

MOM : Katie Tinsley

Fylde 4 (F) 3 – 0 Lancaster 2s (F)

North West Women's Division 3 North (Central)

The visitors at Mill Farm were Lancaster 2s and for once the sun shone and the wind did not blow. The warm up for Natalie Smith was quite literal since her gum shield needed remodeling and most hockey players know the pain of biting down on a freshly boiled softened mouth guard.

Once under way Fylde grew stronger and stronger. The first cracks started to show and a Penalty Stroke was won and missed, but the goals came in the 2nd half. The first was a treat for the crowd; a Hannah Metcalfe tomahawk into the top corner. Beth Wolstenholme then emphatically converted a Penalty Stroke, and “goal a game” Grace Tomlinson made it 3.

Scorers: Hannah Metcalf, Grace Tomlinson and Beth Wolstenholme (penalty stroke)

Fylde 5 (F) 0 – 5 Garstang 3 (F)

North West Women's Division 4 North (Central)

This week Fylde Ladies 5th Xl headed out onto the sunny pitch at Mill Farm to play Garstang 3rd Xl. Fylde had not played for two weekends and were down some of their key players. One of which was the wonderful Clare who listed on Teamo she was unavailable because "it was the day after her wedding". All of us at Fylde wish the now Mr and Mrs Bennett a wonderful future. Jess Egan took the reins as captain and Kath Wholey and Evie Finnegan reinforced the team ready for action. The wonderful Felicity Flood Whittle took to the goal for a second match in a row.

Garstang came out strong but Jess, Summer Holroyd, and Katie Leil (making her debut in defence) held the defensive line strong. Garstang persisted and snatched a goal, but Fylde came back fighting pushing it up the pitch and playing strongly together. Georgia Nicholls made a fantastic run up the left to the excitement of the crowd. Garstang persisted and Fylde defence worked harder still. Holding back a short corner attempt with skill.

The midfield of Kelly Wiseman, Evie Finegan made some great interception of the pressing Garstang. Abbie Warburton, supported by Sophie Finney did some amazing runs down the right wing passing it into the D but despite their determined efforts the forward line of Soraya Rigby and Laura Arts couldn’t convert these into goals against the older and more experienced Garstang defence. Georgia held her position as left half extremely well, dodging and weaving through Garstang’s players and dominating play. Fylde conceded another goal, and the half time whistle blew. Score Fylde 0 - 2 Garstang.

Fylde came back ready to continue with determination and obviously "fire in their bellies". They gave their all, but Garstang were pressing hard. They repeatedly won short corners and Fylde repeatedly denied them the back of the net until an unlucky deflection gave them a third goal.

Things were difficult for Fylde, 2 players were unwell and did their best, Georgia took a hard ball to her knee and Katie was hit on her hand. With 15 minute to go Fylde were down to 9 players. Fylde’s captain Jess had to think on her feet and quickly change their formation. The team adapted well and fought till the very last second not giving up and carrying on even in difficult circumstances. Garstang took full advantage of the diminished team and scored a further 2 goals. The final whistle came as a relief. Final score Fylde 0 - 5 Garstang.

Jess Egan captain said "I am bursting with pride to see how the girls handled today, it was hard. But I believe it can be good when life throws difficult things at us, we learn and come back stronger".

As always for the ladies 5Xl, win as a team lose as a team.

Leyland & Chorley 2 (F) 1 – 2 Fylde 6 (F)

North West Women's Division 5 North (Central)

Smiles all round on a sunny afternoon as the young 6th team beat Leyland & Chorley 2nd team 2-1 in a well contested game.

The opposition scored first, against the run of play, quickly followed by a well taken aerial shot from Eve Clarkson. Half time 1-1.

Fylde dominated the second half with Eve scoring a second goal from open play.

Dani kept us in the game during a nervous last five minutes.

Special mention for Lucy Whiteside in her first appearance for an adult team. This was the first time that two sets of sisters (Whiteside & Eccles) played in the same 6th team for Fylde.

Fylde 1 (M) 3 – 12 Windemere 1 (M)

North West Men's Division 1

A bad day at the office for the Men’s 1s, Windermere quickly put the team under pressure and quickly scored. Fylde tried to hold down the defence but Windemere’s pressure was consistent, many penalty corners and a penalty stroke kept the spectators entertained; by half time it was 6-2.

The second half was much like the first with Fylde only occasionally making it into the attacking D despite the best efforts of the forward line. Three more penalty strokes, two yellow cards and 7 goals later the end score was 12-3 to Windemere.

The men go again next week against Keswick, an important away match in their bid to avoid relegation.

Scorers: Ian Swaine x 2, Simon Major (penalty corner)

Keswick 2s (M) v Fylde 2 (M)

North West Men's Division 3 North

Postponed due to frozen pitch

Kendal 2s (M) 6 – 0 Fylde 3 (M)

North West Men's Division 4 North

Fylde Men’s 3’s travelled up the M6 to glorious views on a clear crisp sunny day to play Kendal. They were feeling confident, even after last week’s drubbing by Preston, and wanted to show off their capabilities against a team they’d beaten at home earlier in the season.

It looked as though Kendal had a squad of 20 for their warm up, but it later transpired that their 1st team game had been cancelled, so not all were actually playing although there was a full subs bench.

From the off, Kendal were quicker to the ball, understanding that the pitch whilst new, did seem to slow the ball down quicker than is standard. Fylde withstood the pressure to begin with, but struggled to keep their own possession for any length of time, as Kendal’s tackling was solid. Eventually Kendal scored from a counter attack, and then a second from an opportunistic strike finding the perfect angle and corner of the goal.

Fylde rotated their players, with their 3 subs, but struggled to make in-roads in the second half. The game got a little spikey, with some crunching tackles and chatter on the pitch. Several green and yellow cards were handed out to both sides, and tempers were flared.

Kendal scored four more times, attacking in numbers overwhelming the Fylde defence, and whilst rightful winners, 6-0 seemed a harsh result with Fylde deserving a goal or two for their efforts.

The team remain united and are already looking forward to the next match.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page